If you are a student of a college or university you have probably come across the professor’s requirements about plagiarism or similarity. Usually, you are to complete an absolutely original paper or you are given the similarity rate, which cannot be exceeded. However, even if you are writing your paper from scratch you may face a problem of plagiarism since you are using the particular sources. Our article will provide you with some helpful tips on avoiding plagiarism.
- This is a process of changing the wording of a particular phrase, sentence or passage but saving the sense of it. For this you should just read the source, which you found, and retell it in your own words.
- Check if you do not use the same words from the source together as it will lead to plagiarism detection.
- In case you need to use the words from the source you should use quotation marks and indicate the name of the book or article according to your required referencing style.
- In order to paraphrase you should consider: finding synonyms to the words, re-build sentences from simple to complex and vice versa. Also, you can change the order of words in your writing.
- One of the ways to use the materials from sources is summarizing them. Summaries are usually used when you need to include the general information about the source or indicate the main ideas of it.
- In order to summarize the paper correctly you should extract the major points of it and set in the meaningful order.
- This is a working method of avoiding plagiarism. Check which referencing style you are to use for your paper and get the necessary details about the source.
- There are several the most popular citing styles: APA, MLA, Chicago (Turabian). You can find the guidelines to each online.
- Make sure that you know correct names of the authors, date and place of publishing so you can cite your source in a proper way.
- If you decide the quote the source make sure that you include the quotations without any changes.
- Also, you should check that your quote is not more than 40 words: do not let quoting take your word count. It is supposed to be used for stating your personal position.
- If you cite a quite you should check the page number and paragraph number in the source.
- Sometimes you may need to use the materials that you have elaborated for class or your previous writing works. Although they belong to you they must be cited, as well.
- Treat this kind of materials as any other book or article that you have to cite – indicate the necessary details required by your citing style.
- After you have used particular sources for paraphrasing and citing do not forget to add the referencing list. Usually it is located at the very end of the paper.
- Make sure that you indicate the sources in the correct order and way which is pre-supposed by your referencing style.