How to Write a Paper: General Requirements
What Features Should an Academic Paper Have?
Obviously, there is a big variety of academic assignments on different papers to be written. Each of them is specific, but still there are some common features of paper writing.
- 1. Academic Language
If you are writing an academic paper, it should have appropriate language. Indeed, there cannot be any slang words, vernacularism, colloquial English shortenings etc. (unless you are writing a paper which deals with Linguistics and those words are examples).
- 2. Following of the Instructions
All instructions are specific, so you need to read them carefully and understand fully. Only the accurate following of all of the specifications will make it possible for you to get a high grade. You should understand, that even the perfect paper won`t work if it is irrelevant. Experts suggest the following algorithm for working with paper instructions for those, who need to know how to write a paper well:
Step 1: Read the Instructions
Firstly, you should read the requirements to get the general idea on what is required.
Step 2: Read Once again and Make Some Notes
It will be good for you to read the instructions again. In order not to miss some important points, you should:
- Highlight the topic for the paper
- Check the verbs of the kind ‘analyze’, ‘descript’, ‘explain’ etc. as they will define the character of your paper
- Circle the word count requirements to control how much text is required
- Note the sources required to be used. You will be able to take these notes with you when going to library
Step 3: Check the Paper after It Is Written
Please check your paper after you have completed it to make sure that all of instructions have been addressed.
- 3. Reliable Sources
The sources issue is quite important for academic papers, because the proper understanding of materials is half of success. While searching for the sources, you should keep in mind the following tips:
- Try to find and use the sources required by your professor. Those ones should be the best for your particular assignment.
- Search for more sources that deal with your issue. Please, make sure that they are relevant and reliable.
- Be careful while getting information online. Any websites, which have “pedia”-part in their names, should better be avoided as they can have incorrect information.
- Remember to cite all the information taken from sources within your essay. Plagiarism is an important issue, so your reader should clearly understand where your personal thoughts are and which ideas were borrowed from the sources.
- 4. Interesting Approach
It is also important for the paper to be interesting. Otherwise, nobody will read it. Therefore, you should follow the advice below:
- Write concisely. You should not include too many descriptions or explanations unless this is required.
- Include examples and illustrations. It will be a good idea to add some graphical elements to your paper as they will attract the reader`s attention and make the reading clearer.
- Do not make logical mistakes. Your paper should have a clear structure, so your reader will follow your ideas flow.
How to Write a Paper Better?
There are a lot of possibilities for those, who want to develop their writing skills. Our service offers the personal assistance by professional writers, who are experts in your particular field. As our writers always have the custom writing and tutoring experience, they will be able to explain you how to write a paper better clearly.