Synthesis is one of the most fundamental skills of any possible research. Together with analysis it forms the basics of competent work with information. Therefore, it is necessary for development a writing proficiency as the research and source investigation stages are the essential parts of any writing process. Apart from this, you may have a synthesis essay assignment, the main method of which is to synthesizing. In our article we will tell you what synthesis is and how it can be applied to your writing. Also, check out the key steps of organizing the synthesis paper.
- 1. Synthesis definition.
- Generally speaking, the term “synthesis” means a combination of two or more object that create together a new unit.
- Synthesis is considered to be one of the highest cognitive skills and it requires combining existing elements in order to form a new pattern.
- Understanding the abstract relations between the objects, elements of a whole, or different patterns is especially valuable for synthesis process.
- 2. Methods of writing the synthesis paper.
There are 3 main ways how you can complete the synthesis paper. They are:
- Thesis which is defended throughout your paper: compose a thesis statement that reflects your view on the issue and find the appropriate details and example to support it. This technique is suitable for papers, which touch the subject upon the diverse points of view.
- Compare and contrast strategy: here you should discuss the similar and distinctive points of view on the material you are working with. The conclusions will be developed on your comparative results.
- Argumentative writing: in case your view on the subject is defined precisely you can defend it by providing the valid arguments. Also, you should incorporate the counterarguments, which are invalid from your position, and explain why you consider them wrong.
- 3. Preparation for writing the synthesis essay.
- find two or more sources to synthesize;
- first, you need to analyze them: interpret your own perspective of this sources;
- secondly, sum up the points, topic and features that are common in your sources, also, make notes about the differences;
- lastly, review your findings and think of the best ways to organize the paper (stated above). Making up an outline can be helpful as well.
- 4. Writing stage.
- An introductory part should provide the reader with the general view of the sources you worked with and their connection with the topic.
- The work on the body paragraphs is the most time-consuming: here you should develop your supporting points. Remember that every paragraph should have a topical sentence. Also, all the sources should be represented and try not to omit important pieces of information. You can quote or paraphrase the parts from your sources, which are significant for your research.
- The conclusion should remind the reader about the most important ideas you developed and create a sense of completeness. For this, you should pick up the theme stated in the introduction.
- 5. Revising your paper.
Make sure you didn’t make any errors: so check your spelling, grammar and punctuation carefully. Also, it is a good idea to read your paper aloud – this is how you will assure the essay flows well and your points are clear and logically connected.
Keywords: synthesis essay, synthesis paper, synthesis, definition, tips, writing, steps, stages, methods.